Wearing braces can be both exciting and daunting at the same time. While you may be excited to finally have the straight teeth you’ve always wanted, you must also take extra care of your oral health while wearing them. In this article, we’ll cover what you need to know about taking care of your teeth with braces on, from the types of foods to avoid all the way to tips for keeping bacteria out of your mouth.
What Are the Benefits of Wearing Braces?
There are many benefits of wearing braces, including:
1. Improved Oral Health: Braces can help to improve your oral health by correcting alignment issues that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
2. Enhanced Aesthetics: Straighter teeth are not only healthier, but they also look better. Wearing braces can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted.
3. Improved Self-Esteem: Achieving a straighter, healthier smile can do wonders for your self-esteem and confidence levels.
4. Greater Comfort: Today’s braces are much more comfortable than those of yesteryear, meaning you can wear them without discomfort or irritation.
What Care Should I Take When Wearing Braces?
When you have braces, it is important to take extra care of your teeth and gums. Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. It is also important to avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage your braces.
How Can I Keep My Teeth Clean While Wearing Braces?
It is important to keep your teeth clean while wearing braces in order to avoid cavities and gum disease. Here are some tips on how to keep your teeth clean:
-Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a toothbrush that has soft bristles.
- Use fluoride toothpaste and floss daily.
- Be sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth, including behind your back molars.
- Use an interdental brush or water flosser to clean between your teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups.
What Foods Should I Avoid While Wearing Braces?
When you have braces, it’s important to avoid certain foods that can damage your braces or make them more difficult to clean. Hard, crunchy, and sticky foods are all off-limits. You should also avoid chewing on ice, pens, or other hard objects.
Some of the specific foods you should avoid include:
- Hard candy
- Ice cubes
- Popcorn kernels
- Chewy candy (e.g. taffy)
- Sticky candy (e.g. caramels)
Tips to Make Life Easier With Braces On
If you or your child is getting braces, it’s important to know how to properly take care of them to ensure they work effectively and last as long as possible. Here are some tips on making life easier with braces:
1. Be careful of what you eat- Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can damage the braces or get stuck in them. Cut food into small pieces and chew slowly and carefully.
2. Keep your mouth clean- Braces can trap food and plaque, so it’s important to brush thoroughly after every meal and floss daily. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste designed for people with braces.
3. Be gentle on your teeth and gums- Don’t bite your nails, chew on pencils, or use your teeth to open things—this can damage the enamel and cause pain in your gums.
4. Protect your teeth from injury– Wear a mouthguard when playing sports or doing any activity that could result in a blow to the face. If you do injure your mouth, see your orthodontist right away so they can make any necessary repairs.
5. Visit your orthodontist regularly- These appointments are crucial for making sure the braces are working properly and adjusting them as needed.Missing appointments could lengthen the time you need to wear braces overall!
We hope following these tips will make your life with braces a little more easier. In case you have any doubts you can visit our Carmel orthodontist at Emerick Orthodontics, our team is always looking forward to help their patients.