Invisalign is a popular teeth-straightening solution that gives you the confidence to show off your smile. But before you commit to Invisalign, it’s important to ask the right questions of your dentist. Find out what those nine critical questions are in this article – so that you can make an informed decision about Invisalign and get the best possible results!
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear alternative to metal braces. It uses a series of clear, removable aligners that are virtually invisible. So, you can smile more during treatment as well as after.
9 Questions To Ask Your Dentist Before Considering Invisalign
1. Is Invisalign Right for Me?
Invisalign is an increasingly popular orthodontic treatment that uses clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth. But is Invisalign right for you? Here are some critical questions to ask your dentist before considering Invisalign.
2. How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
The cost of Invisalign treatment varies depending on the severity of the patient’s dental condition and the length of treatment. Most patients can expect to pay between $3,500 and $8,000 for Invisalign treatment. Insurance typically covers a portion of the cost, but patients should check with their insurer to determine their exact coverage.
3. What Dental Issues Can Invisalign Fix?
Invisalign is effective for treating a wide range of dental issues, including:
- Crowded teeth
- Gaps in teeth
4. What Are the Benefits of Using Invisalign?
There are many benefits that come along with using Invisalign. One of the most obvious benefits is that they are virtually invisible when worn, so people will not be able to tell that you are wearing them unless you tell them. This can be a major point for people who are self-conscious about their teeth or worried about how metal braces will look.
Another great benefit of Invisalign is that they are much more comfortable to wear than metal braces. This is because they are made from smooth plastic rather than metal, so there is no risk of your cheeks or gums getting cut by brackets or wires. They also do not require any tightening, which can be painful for people with traditional braces.
5. What Are the Potential Risks of Using Invisalign?
There are potential risks associated with using Invisalign that patients should be aware of before making a decision. These risks include:
- Allergic reactions: Some patients may experience allergic reactions to the materials used in Invisalign aligners. These reactions can range from mild (itching, redness, and swelling) to severe (difficulty breathing, hives, and dizziness).
- Gum irritation: Invisalign aligners can cause gum irritation or other problems in some cases. This is usually due to improper cleaning or not wearing the aligners for the recommended amount of time each day.
- Tooth enamel wear: Because Invisalign aligners put pressure on teeth, they can cause the enamel to wear down over time.
- Root resorption: In rare cases, Invisalign treatment can cause root resorption, which is when the roots of your teeth start to break down. This can eventually lead to tooth loss if not treated promptly.
6. How Long Does Treatment Take with Invisalign?
The length of Invisalign treatment depends on several factors, including the severity of your misalignment, how well you follow the treatment plan, and whether you experience any setbacks. Most people can expect to complete treatment within 12 to 18 months. However, some people may need to wear their aligners for longer periods of time, and some may even require additional treatments after Invisalign to achieve their desired results.
7. Will I Need to Wear Retainers After Treatment?
The simple answer is yes, you will need to wear retainers after treatment. Invisalign is not a one-time fix, it is a treatment that requires ongoing maintenance. This means that once your treatment is complete, you will need to wear retainers to keep your teeth in their new, corrected position. Without retainers, your teeth will slowly start to shift back to their original position. Wearing retainers as prescribed by your dentist will ensure that your smile stays beautiful for years to come!
8. How Can I Care for My Invisalign Trays?
1. Rinse your trays with lukewarm water before putting them in your mouth. This will help to remove any residue and make them more comfortable to wear.
2. Clean your trays thoroughly at least once a day with the Invisalign cleaning crystals that were provided to you. Be sure to brush all surfaces of the trays, including around the attachments (if you have them).
3. Store your trays in the provided case when you’re not wearing them. This will help to keep them clean and free of dust and other debris.
9. What is the success rate?
There is no guarantee that Invisalign will work for everyone, so be sure to ask your dentist about their success rate with the treatment.
Asking your dentist these nine critical questions before considering Invisalign is an important step in making sure you get the best care possible. By asking these questions, you can ensure that you understand the entire process and make informed decisions about your oral health. With this information in hand, you will be able to confidently move forward with a plan for improving your smile!
For more information about Invisalign you can schedule an appointment with our orthodontist at Emerick Orthodontics. Our dental team is always ready to help you.