Do you get anxious at the thought of visiting the orthodontist? You’re not alone. Dental anxiety is a common fear that can keep people from receiving necessary oral care. However, avoiding dental checkups and procedures can lead to bigger problems down the line. That’s why Emerick Orthodontics has compiled some tips to help conquer your dental anxiety and make your next appointment a breeze! From relaxation techniques to communication with your provider, we’ve got you covered. So sit back, take a deep breath, and read on for our expert advice on overcoming dental anxiety.
Introduction to Dental Anxiety
Dental anxiety is a common phobia that affects millions of people. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including a bad experience at the orthodontist, a fear of needles or pain, or a general fear of the unknown. Dental anxiety can lead to avoidance of routine dental care, which can in turn lead to more serious dental problems down the road.
Tips To Overcome Dental Anxiety
We have put together some tips to help you conquer your dental anxiety.
- Communicate with your orthodontist: One of the best ways to combat dental anxiety is to open up communication with your orthodontist. Let them know what your fears are and how they can help put you at ease.
- Distract yourself during treatment: If possible, try to distract yourself during treatment. Bring along a book or listen to music through headphones. Focusing on something else can help take your mind off of the procedure.
- Breathe: It sounds simple, but deep breathing can help to calm nerves and ease anxiety. Take some deep breaths before your appointment and during treatment if you start to feel anxious.
- Use relaxation techniques: There are a number of relaxation techniques that can be helpful in managing dental anxiety. Try progressive muscle relaxation or visualization prior to your appointment.
- Ask about sedation dentistry: If other methods of managing anxiety are not effective, sedation dentistry may be an option for you. This involves taking medication prior to treatment that will help you relax and feel no pain during the procedure
Understanding the Causes of Dental Anxiety
It’s not uncommon to feel some level of anxiety before a dental appointment. In fact, studies show that as many as 20% of Americans experience dental anxiety. For some people, this anxiety is so severe that it prevents them from seeking necessary dental care. If you suffer from dental anxiety, you’re not alone. And there are steps you can take to conquer your fear.
At Emerick Orthodontics, we understand the challenges of living with dental anxiety. We also know that conquering your fear is possible with the right support and treatment plan. Here are some tips from our team on how to overcome dental anxiety:
- Talk to us about your concerns: The first step in conquering your dental anxiety is to communicate your concerns to us. We want to know what makes you anxious and what we can do to help put you at ease.
- Choose an orthodontist who makes you feel comfortable: It’s important that you find an orthodontist who you feel comfortable with. If you don’t feel comfortable with your current orthodontist, consider switching to someone who better understands your needs and can provide the support you need to conquer your fear.
- Consider sedation dentistry: If traditional methods of overcoming dental anxiety aren’t working for you, sedation dentistry may be an option worth considering. Sedation dentistry uses medication to help patients relax during their appointment. This can be especially helpful for those with severe
We hope these tips have provided you with the knowledge and tools to help you conquer your dental anxiety. If, after trying all of our suggestions, it still feels like a struggle for you to visit the orthodontist, please don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us here at Emerick Orthodontics. Our team is always here to provide support and answer any questions that you may have about controlling dental anxiety.